Monday, June 13, 2016

Ann Voskamp and Grief: a disturbing view of God and sorrow

 Disturbing:

The trees cry until God hangs upon the tree...

His tears are sweet to us. BECAUSE our God’s acquainted with grief, He is intimately acquainted with us, with our thorns hidden and driven deep. We don’t cry alone...

And we ’ll go home and put a lamb on the table and He took the cup and He gave thanks for it and He BEGGED:Do this in remembrance of me...

Take your broken heart and give thanks for the heart of God who bleeds with yours. ..

a God who not only who dies for you, but who cries with you...

We get that experience of God when He stretches open His arms on that Cross and cries,“For you. For all your regrets and for all your impossibles,for all that will never be and for all that once was...

I offer to take the nails, the sharp edge of everything....

~Ann Voskamp (caps, my emphasis), on her website which should be titled "An UNholy Experience", but I digress. Sort of. She's one of the speakers at the inter-faith Together 2016 rally in D.C. where the pope and other fellow false teachers will be speaking.

The problem is that first she's got Roman Catholic doctrine flowing out of her. It's like she's describing a Roman Catholic crucifix. The biblical Jesus is not on the cross nor taking nails for anyone right now. Her use of present tense shows her false doctrine. Jesus' death was once for all time, as Hebrews 10:10 states. He is not currently shedding blood nor pierced by nails.

Secondly, God doesn't need to know grief in order to be "intimately acquainted with us". He is the Sovereign Creator and therefore knows everyone intimately (see Ps. 139 for example which says He knows us because He's omniscient). Emotions do not aid God knowing us. This is frankly blasphemy.

Thirdly, she gave no Scripture for God "crying" for us because of our grief.

Where does Scripture say God's heart bleeds for ours?

Fourth, her jesus is an effeminate, emotionally-driven jesus. Her's is an unholy man, not the thrice Holy One of Israel,who apparently is in grief, crying and boohooing whenever we are. Think about it. Multiply that by how many millions who feel that way and apparently her god is nothing but an emotional basket case. Never mind about God being offended by sin by those who claim His name, much less those who don't. I mean, it's allll about me and my pain. This is nothing short of the secular view of not being able to speak about an issue UNLESS you've walked in somebody's shoes and feel their pain.
Trees cry until God hangs upon the tree? They cry? God is going to hang on the tree? I know all creation "groans" because of the Fall of all creation which came about by Adam's sin, but that's certainly not what she's stating at all.
Listen, unless we first repent and turn to the biblical Jesus (which is not the one Voskamp has), we won't know the peace of God. Secondly, the biblical Gospel doesn't teach that Jesus died on the cross for my pain but rather for my SIN which I committed against Him. Getting the Gospel right is an absolute necessity. Also, our encouragement during hard, difficult times comes from the Spirit through the precious Word of God:
Rom 15:4 For whatever was written in earlier times was written for our instruction, so that through perseverance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. Rom 15:5 Now may the God who gives perseverance and encouragement grant you to be of the same mind with one another according to Christ Jesus, Rom 15:6 so that with one accord you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Heb 6:17 In the same way God, desiring even more to show to the heirs of the promise the unchangeableness of His purpose, interposed with an oath, Heb 6:18 so that by two unchangeable things in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have taken refuge would have strong encouragement to take hold of the hope set before us. Heb 6:19 This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, a hope both sure and steadfast and one which enters within the veil, Heb 6:20 where Jesus has entered as a forerunner for us, having become a high priest forever according to the order of Melchizedek.

Php 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! Php 4:5 Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near. Php 4:6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. Php 4:7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Php 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. Php 4:9 The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.

Joh 14:24 "He who does not love Me does not keep My words; and the word which you hear is not Mine, but the Father's who sent Me. Joh 14:25 "These things I have spoken to you while abiding with you. Joh 14:26 "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you. Joh 14:27 "Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful.
For an example of how to deal with real grief, that is to have right thinking: Lam 3:14 I have become a laughingstock to all my people, Their mocking song all the day. Lam 3:15 He has filled me with bitterness, He has made me drunk with wormwood. Lam 3:16 He has broken my teeth with gravel; He has made me cower in the dust. Lam 3:17 My soul has been rejected from peace; I have forgotten happiness. Lam 3:18 So I say, "My strength has perished, And so has my hope from the LORD." Lam 3:19 Remember my affliction and my wandering, the wormwood and bitterness. Lam 3:20 Surely my soul remembers And is bowed down within me. Lam 3:21 This I recall to my mind, Therefore I have hope. Lam 3:22 The LORD'S lovingkindnesses indeed never cease, For His compassions never fail. Lam 3:23 They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness. Lam 3:24 "The LORD is my portion," says my soul, "Therefore I have hope in Him." Lam 3:25 The LORD is good to those who wait for Him, To the person who seeks Him. Lam 3:26 It is good that he waits silently For the salvation of the LORD.
Psa 42:2  My soul thirsts for God, for the living God; When shall I come and appear before God? 
Psa 42:3  My tears have been my food day and night, While they say to me all day long, "Where is your God?" 
Psa 42:4  These things I remember and I pour out my soul within me. For I used to go along with the throng and lead them in procession to the house of God, With the voice of joy and thanksgiving, a multitude keeping festival. 
Psa 42:5  Why are you in despair, O my soul? And why have you become disturbed within me? Hope in God, for I shall again praise Him For the help of His presence. 
Psa 42:6  O my God, my soul is in despair within me; Therefore I remember You from the land of the Jordan And the peaks of Hermon, from Mount Mizar. 
Jas 1:2  Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, 
Jas 1:3  knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. 
Jas 1:4  And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. 
Jas 1:5 But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him. Jas 1:6 But he must ask in faith without any doubting, for the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind. Jas 1:7 For that man ought not to expect that he will receive anything from the Lord,

No comments: