Saturday, November 16, 2013

He loved them to the uttermost!

(Alexander Smellie, "The Hour of Silence" 1899)

"Having loved His own who were in the world, He loved them to the uttermost!" John 13:1

This is . . .
love in its essence,
love in its consummate blossom and fruit,
love in its ultimate and final perfection.

The love of Jesus bends very low. It travels from Heaven to earth--and there is no science which can compute that distance. It seeks out the chief of sinners--and all human philanthropy is as nothing compared to His all-surpassing love. It is not ashamed even of me--me in all my depravity and my sin.

The love of Jesus gives very much. It wins my pardon, although my transgressions are scarlet in their dye, and countless in their multitude. It brings me holiness, although I am prone to evil. It fills my cup to overflowing with the rich and gladdening wine of Heaven!

The love of Jesus suffers very deeply. It was not by some word of kingly majesty alone--it was not easily and in a moment--that He made me the possessor of these incalculable blessings. God spared not His own Son. The Son spared not Himself. There was no bitterness from which He shrank--there was no punishment which He did not bear, for me!

The love of Jesus lasts very long. What shall separate me from it?
Life will not, with its manifold trials and temptations.
Death will not, with its icy chill.
Eternity will not, with its unending years!


"I pray that you may grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge!" Ephesians 3:17-19

No comments: