Sunday, July 05, 2015

There has been too much trifling with Jehovah!

"Then I answered and said: Amen, O Lord!" Jeremiah 11:5 [Or, So be it, O Lord.] 

Perhaps there is a secret contention going on between you and God. God has spoken to you--but thus far there has not been Jeremiah's response of 'Amen, O Lord.'

Here you have the one response which a man of God must ever make to the words of God. When God says anything to him, there is nothing left for him but to bow the head and say, 'Amen, O Lord--so be it!' 

This response is the only one that suits a creature's lip. 

When God 
speaks--there is nothing left for man but to hear.
When God decrees--there is nothing for man to do but acquiesce
When Jehovah gives a command--what is there left for His creature to do but obey

Any other word than 'Amen' springs from rebellion. Any other response to the word of Jehovah, simply tells of a heart that wars with God. 

It is not for men to judge God's words, far less to amend them. If it pleases Jehovah to say anything, no matter how stern, how dreadful, or how searching--there is only one position for man: that is to bow his head and say, 'Amen, O Lord.'
'Oh,' says one, in the proud spirit of our times, 'you are making a bold bid for your God this morning.'
I am. The sovereignty of God needs to be brought to the front. 
There has been too much trifling with Jehovah! Man needs to have the peacock's feathers plucked out of his cap, and be taught that he is a poor little nothing, and that for God to speak to him at all is infinite condescension, and that for him to say anything else than 'Amen' is boundless impudence!

If God condescends to utter a command, am I to go and judge whether the Lord has a right to say it? Shall I take the word of Jehovah my Maker and weigh it in my scales--and bring up his thoughts to the paltry bar of my fallen reason--and enter my protest unless I can see a good reason for God speaking as He does? 

When God promulgates a decree, He does not send it to man to be revised.
His claim is this, "I am Jehovah. I, the Lord, speak that which is right, and let man say: Amen, O Lord.

We are living in the days of the deification of humanity. We hear so much about 'the glory of humanity', and 'the triumphs of humanity'--that God has become little better than a very inferior deity who runs after man and tips His cap to him. 

This is not the picture which God's Book gives. God's claim is this, "I am the Lord, and you are but the creatures of My hand. The brightest of My angels are but sparks struck off from the anvil of My creative omnipotence. When I speak, let men and angels be silent; or, if they must speak, let them say: Amen, O Lord!" This is the only the response that suits a creature's lip.
If you can conceive of a being who is . . .
  infinitely wise,
  all-powerful,
  infinitely righteous,
  absolutely holy,
  inflexibly just, 
and all gathered up into boundless love--that is God. 

If such a One speaks--then what is there left for me but to say, 'Amen'? I am stark, raving mad, if I dare question the utterance of Infinite Wisdom. I am unutterably vile, if I can dare to criticize the utterance of Absolute Love. Idiocy must have taken hold of my brain and, alas! of my heart, if I would amend anything which His infinite holiness has declared. The very nature and character of God declare that the only response for man when God speaks, is 'Amen, O Lord.'

Oh, for that grand attitude of resignation and submission to God, that bows before every word of God--whether it be a silver note of mercy from Heaven, or a thunder-clap of denunciation!

(Archibald Brown, "Amen, O Lord!" 1894)

No comments: