Sunday, November 30, 2014

The Distinction of Yahweh, The God of Israel

One thing that strikes me as I read through Isaiah, especially in chapters 44-48 (so far, more to come of course), is that God sets Himself as DISTINCT as well as separate from all other gods. There is NO COMMON GROUND between the Holy One of Israel and all other gods (not even with "Allah"). Yahweh goes to great length and repetition to make sure people know that HE alone is Creator, distinct, sole, true, living Triune God. There is NONE to compare Him to; there is none that are like Him.

Isa 44:6  Thus says the LORD, the King of Israel and his Redeemer, the LORD of hosts: "I am the first and I am the last; besides me there is no god.
Isa 44:7  Who is like me? Let him proclaim it. Let him declare and set it before me, since I appointed an ancient people. Let them declare what is to come, and what will happen.
Isa 44:8  Fear not, nor be afraid; have I not told you from of old and declared it? And you are my witnesses! Is there a God besides me? There is no Rock; I know not any."
Isa 44:9  All who fashion idols are nothing, and the things they delight in do not profit. Their witnesses neither see nor know, that they may be put to shame.


Isa 46:5  "To whom will you liken me and make me equal, and compare me, that we may be alike?
Isa 46:6  Those who lavish gold from the purse, and weigh out silver in the scales, hire a goldsmith, and he makes it into a god; then they fall down and worship!

Isa 46:8  "Remember this and stand firm, recall it to mind, you transgressors,
Isa 46:9  remember the former things of old; for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me,
Isa 46:10  declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, 'My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose,'

Isa 48:16  Draw near to me, hear this: from the beginning I have not spoken in secret, from the time it came to be I have been there." And now the Lord GOD has sent me, and his Spirit.

No comments: