Saturday, July 27, 2013

The Sovereign Grace of God Is The Only Difference Between Me And Those In Hell

Lord, You know my weaknesses and follies, and what sins I am likely enough to commit--unless You hold me fast. "Hold up my steps in Your paths, that my footsteps may not slip!" Psalm 17:5

What a mercy that I have been preserved so long! How many thousands who have been born since myself, have been chopped down by the scythe of death--and where are they? What is become of them? Are not many of them suffering Your eternal wrath, as the just desert of their sins? No doubt but they are!

And what am I--that I should be distinguished from them! What was there in me--that a difference should be made between us! Lord, you know that there was nothing. It is all of your rich, free, and sovereign grace--that there is the least difference between me, and the vilest wretch in Hell!

"But by the grace of God, I am what I am!" 1 Corinthians 15:10
"Hold me up, and I shall be safe!" Psalm 119:117 

(James Smith's autobiography, "Marvelous Mercy!" 1862)

No comments: