Wednesday, January 02, 2019

The Letter And the Spirit

2Co 3:6 who also made us adequate as servants of a new covenant, not of the letter, but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

A point was made at church about how many have created a false dichotomy between the "letter" and "the Spirit" of the Law (which I have heard all my life myself). Interestingly it's usually by those who want to redefine sin. It's also a way to devise a new class of Truth and spirituality, with a derision for the written Word of God. However it is the HOLY Spirit, the Author of the Law, who gave the Law IN ORDER to define what sin is (Rom. 7:7-14). The Spirit GAVE the Law, He is not in opposition to it.

Eze 36:23 "And I will vindicate the holiness of My great name which has been profaned among the nations, which you have profaned in their midst. Then the nations will know that I am the LORD," declares the Lord GOD, "when I prove Myself holy among you in their sight.
Eze 36:24 "For I will take you from the nations, gather you from all the lands, and bring you into your own land.
Eze 36:25 "Then I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your filthiness and from all your idols.
Eze 36:26 "Moreover, I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; and I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.
Eze 36:27 "And I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will be careful to observe My ordinances.

Rom 7:7  What shall we say then? Is the Law sin? May it never be! On the contrary, I would not have come to know sin except through the Law; for I would not have known about coveting if the Law had not said, "YOU SHALL NOT COVET." 

Rom 7:12  So then, the Law is holy, and the commandment is holy and righteous and good. 
Rom 7:13  Therefore did that which is good become a cause of death for me? May it never be! Rather it was sin, in order that it might be shown to be sin by effecting my death through that which is good, that through the commandment sin might become utterly sinful. 
Rom 7:14  For we know that the Law is spiritual; but I am of flesh, sold into bondage to sin. 

1Ti 1:8  But we know that the Law is good, if one uses it lawfully
1Ti 1:9  realizing the fact that law is not made for a righteous man, but for those who are lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers 

The Law is the standard by which God judges each person. It is precise and exacting, therefore not allowing any sin to be undealt with.

Heb 4:12  For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart
Heb 4:13  And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are open and laid bare to the eyes of Him with whom we have to do. 

 Note that God judges even the thoughts and intentions of our hearts as either righteous or unrighteous, not merely our actions. This should remind the believer of Matt. 6  and Matt 15:11 where Jesus defines sin as those of the heart first.

Mat 5:20  "For I say to you, that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you shall not enter the kingdom of heaven

Mat 6:1  "Beware of practicing your righteousness before men to be noticed by them; otherwise you have no reward with your Father who is in heaven. 

Mat 5:17  "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish, but to fulfill. 
Mat 5:18  "For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass away from the Law, until all is accomplished

Mat 5:22  "But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever shall say to his brother, 'Raca,' shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever shall say, 'You fool,' shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell.

Mat 5:28  but I say to you, that everyone who looks on a woman to lust for her has committed adultery with her already in his heart
Gal 3:24  Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, that we may be justified by faith.

It is a great mercy from God that He gave the Law in order to tell us what sin is, so that we can cry out to Him for His mercy and forgiveness, knowing that Christ alone and His work on the cross and His resurrection saves. The law can't justify because the heart of flesh needs to be removed. That's why the Law was limited in power--it is the standard by which God  judges all people. It is the Holy Spirit that gives life--a new heart, mind, will, indwelling us and empowering us to see the Truth and love it, confess our sins, and walk according to the Scriptures.

The Law is spiritual because it's from the mouth of God and it proves our sin against Him. It is NOT in opposition to the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit uses it properly to convict us of our sin and that points us to Christ Jesus. There is no opposition between the Law and It's Author.

No comments: